Current exhibitions at Havard University Museums. No Slop, No Second Screen: Animation – the hard-won image is on view at the Carpenter Center until October 4, 2026. Organised by Ruth Lingford, the exhibition showcases work by Harvard students, faculty and visiting artists. Four screens show a selection of films, 19 works in total. I had two favourites. I loved VES 10 / Final Drawing Output a collaborative animation by seven artists from 2007. The images show a life model, perspectives from each model from around the figure. There was a point in the film where the work jumped into life. Each rendering in a unique style complete with additions, erasures, traces of previous drawings. I also loved Andante, by Xiao Xiao from 2014. Projected figures walk along a keyboard of a piano, playing the music. The project is in real-time and I received information afterwards a programme ran to push each key in time with the figure animation. It was elegant and technically brilliant. I also love the building, CCVA which is the centre for contemporary art at Harvard University. It was designed by Le Corbusier, completed in 1963.
Glass Flowers: The Ware Collection of Blaschka Glass Models of Plants is one of the most remarkable exhibitions I have seen. Permanently housed in the Harvard Museum of Natural History, the “Glass Flowers” were made by Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka, father and son. In total, the Blaschka’s produced 4,300 models. The volume, and intricacy are striking. As well as flowers, displays in the museum include coral and jelly fish. The level of detail includes roots and magnified fruits and flowers for teaching. A huge thank you to Michelle Viise for taking me to this exhibition.Exhibition of glass flowers at Harvard Museum of Natural History.
Finally, a lunchtime visit to Harvard Art Museums. Thank you to Ruth Lingford for a fascinating tour – and coffee. I loved the relief below, and the Japanese woodblock print selection. There are Buddhist figures and upstairs, a collection of pigments, paints and open conservation windows, where it is possible to see the behind the scenes conservation work. A brilliant idea. Blue was on display when I visited. On my final day I visited Cooking Up Change: Women’s Agency and Community Building Through Cookbooks. An exhibition of cookbooks complete with stains of use.
Harvard Art Museums
My sketchbook and notes from No Slop, No Second Screen.
Postcard from Cooking Up Change at the Lia and William Poorvu Gallery, Schlesinger Library.




